"I dream of a university that is home to thousands of students ready to make an impact to the economy and the business world as well-educated professionals."
Hüsnü M. Özyeğin, 2008
- Özyeğin University 10 Years Old
"The future starts with dreaming. I have been chasing this dream for 10 whole years. How fortunate I am that I am not alone in this passionate and exciting journey."
Hüsnü M. Özyeğin, 2018
"I dream of a university that is home to thousands of students ready to make an impact on the economy and the business world as well-educated professionals." - 2008
Özyeğin University was founded based on this dream and vision of Mr. Hüsnü Özyeğin, Chair of our Board of Trustees. When the idea of founding a university was born, the goal was set more clearly in the first few days that followed: To contribute to social development by producing creative, original and applicable knowledge through a modern education system; an innovative structure integrated with real-world industries; and academic programs focused on sectors.
Thus began the efforts to establish Özyeğin University in 2005. In 2008, our University welcomed its first students on its Altunizade campus with the goal of preparing self-confident, multi-lingual and multi-cultural graduates who embrace universal values, who endeavor to develop solutions to global problems, who love teamwork, who are open to change, and who know how to access, use, and even develop knowledge”. Not long after, in 2011, we moved to Turkey’s first LEED Gold Certified campus that spans 54 acres of land in Çekmeköy.
With our “entrepreneurial research university” approach, we offer an innovative education model that equips students with values to prepare them as entrepreneurial and resourceful graduates. We aim our graduates to be vested with an in-depth knowledge about the rising professions, a good command of at least one foreign language, highly developed skills in information and communication technologies, and significant talent for putting their knowledge into practice. We endeavor to instill in our students the passion and dedication to make a difference both for their employers and their community by capitalizing on the skills, competencies, and experiences they acquire both in academia and in the real world. In pursuit of achieving these goals, we conferred degrees to our first graduates in 2012.
Over the past 10 years, starting from our first course in 2008 to date, in addition to our alumni, who today lead the business world at different corners of the world and who we still remember with pride, international and national successes our faculty have achieved in recognition of their distinguished studies have become our major source of motivation.
As the new academic year marks our 10th anniversary, we aim to transform our students into resourceful individuals for the business world through the amenities we offer at their disposals, and help them become real world citizens who can dream, create innovative and sustainable ideas, care about the society and environment in which they live, are open to different views, possess the culture of living together peacefully in a diverse world, are passionate, and are able to adapt to the global world’s requirements.
With the strength and motivation we derive from our 10th anniversary, we embrace the third generation university approach led by the world’s most renowned universities to fulfil our goal to serve society as an entrepreneurial and research-focused learning center in the light of our innovative education model and founding principles which help our students to adapt to the rapidly changing world’s demands and become a part of “transformation”.
"The future starts with dreaming. I have been chasing this dream for 10 whole years. How fortunate I am that I am not alone in this passionate and exciting journey." - 2018
Dear OzU Family,
The 10th anniversary of Özyeğin University is a very important milestone in the existence of our University. This is also a valuable opportunity for us to celebrate our collective successes, share our plans for the future, and shape our dreams together. I feel very happy and proud to share this time with you, our esteemed students, faculty, and all members of our University.
Education has always been an indispensable passion for me both in my life journey and in my charity work. I believe that preparing a resourceful youth is the biggest service one can ever offer to a society or a country. My passion for education was crowned with Özyeğin University, the result of this service.
My dream of founding a university dates back to at least twenty years ago. I set off on this journey with the goal of founding an innovative university that is able to meet not only the needs of Turkey but also the world. I was dreaming of a higher education institution with a modern education system that offers sector-focused academic programs and experiential opportunities. A home to scientific research where priority will be placed on the creation of original and creative knowledge and its application to the real world.
I was aspiring that my university will prepare self-confident, multi-lingual and multi-cultural graduates who embrace universal values, who are not afraid of problems, and on the contrary who enjoy tackling problems and developing new solutions, who love teamwork, who are open to change, and who know how to access, use, and even develop knowledge.
My dream was a third generation university. A young and entrepreneurial research university.
The first step we took to make this dream come true was the recruitment of a stellar cadre of faculty from the world’s best universities. The second step was the admission of our first 210 students who made the biggest decision of their lives and chose us by showing the courage to be our very first students. Then, each year, incrementally growing our student body, faculty, academic programs, and campus, we came to the present day.
The first ten years of our University are filled with unforgettable and proud moments for me
These lines are not enough to describe all those proud moments I have had, but with our 10th anniversary book and documentary, which we will soon share with you, we aim to make these moments eternal.
The most memorable memories for me are undoubtedly the commencement ceremonies we hold each year to graduate our students and send them off to begin a new chapter in their lives. During these ceremonies, it has always been an honor to share and celebrate the achievements of our students who intern at or have received job offers from the leading companies in their respective sectors, our student entrepreneurs who started their own businesses while they were still pursuing their studies at our University, our graduates who have been admitted to the master’s or Ph.D. programs at the world’s leading universities, or our national athletes who represent our country.
Ten years are actually a very short span of time in a University’s lifetime. Our dream is to keep our University alive for decades, and even for centuries ahead. But all in all, the key to success and sustainability -just like in every institution- is the founding vision and the foundation laid during the first few years.
Founding a university means successfully bringing together all stakeholders to give life to, maintain, and continuously develop an academic and scientific institution, and ensuring that the resulting mechanism functions with excellence. The achievements we have garnered in our first 10 years were beyond what I dreamed while I was founding Özyeğin University thanks to the collective efforts and cooperation of our stakeholders from various segments of society. In just our fifth year, we ranked fourth in Turkey’s Most Innovative and Entrepreneurial Universities. We qualified to be one of the 10 universities to receive TÜBİTAK’s Technology Transfer Office Support awarded by the Ministry of Science and Technology, and we were shown as a best practice example to other universities in recognition of our efforts. Our faculty who rank high not only in national but also global academic rankings carried us into the top ten among all foundation universities in our sixth year in recognition of our research achievements.
"Cultivating qualified graduates who are prepared for the business world" had an important place in my dream of founding a university, and our first place ranking among “Universities with Highest Graduate Employment Rate” is testimony to the fact that we made it! Student satisfaction and participation have always been among the most important issues I have cared about since our foundation, and for that reason, ranking first among 172 universities in Turkey’s University Satisfaction Survey for two years in a row is also another major source of pride for me. Also this year, our Rector Prof. Dr. Esra Gençtürk was one of the three rectors honored with the “Golden Award” in the same survey. This is also a testimony of her outstanding personal efforts in this area. I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate our Rector once again on her achievement.
I feel very thrilled in dreaming of the next 10 years...
During the foundation of our University, we were discussing the “third generation university” concept. Today the world is much different than compared to 10 years ago. We are now in the Fourth Industrial Revolution Era. Blending scientific technologies with industrial activites, this revolution is of particular importance to us. This is a revolution that has the power to transform economy, production, employment, and even our relations. Now, Industry 4.0 and the sustainable development movement have sparked the “fourth generation university” discussions. And as Özyeğin University, we are dedicated to taking the lead in these areas. We pledge to turn the power of being young, flexible, and entrepreneurial into an opportunity, and use it for designing a brighter future for us all.
I feel very thrilled in dreaming of the next 10 years... I dream that Özyeğin University graduates showcase their achievements in their careers, our faculty contribute to society with their innovative research, and our students experience transformative education, and we see these examples continue to grow with a snowball effect.
And luckily I am not dreaming alone. Dear OzU Family, happy 10th anniversary!
As the 2018-2019 academic year marks our 10th anniversary, we feel the well-deserved pride of looking into the future with the hope and confidence we derive from all the experiences, successes, excitements, and dreams we have had over our 10-year journey.
The 10-year story of Özyeğin University, from its founding to date, began with the admission of our first 210 students in 2008 as they met our 33 faculty members who joined us from the world’s most renowned universities, and 62 staff members on our Altunizade campus with its humble practical amenities. Within just 10 years, our University concluded its founding process, streghtened its foundations, and achieved a very successful progress towards growth and institutionalization. In fact, by September 2018, which marks our 10th anniversary, Özyeğin University had been selected as the university with the best campus in Turkey with its 8,254 students, 535 faculty members, 329 staff members, and 3,255 graduates, in addition to ranking first among all state and foundation universities for overall satisfaction in the Turkey’s University Satisfaction Survey. OzU also ranked first among the “Universities with Highest Graduate Employment Rate”, fourth among “Turkey’s Most Entrepreneurial and Innovative Foundation Universities”, and first in URAP’s “Foundation Universities Founded After 2000 without Medical Schools” ranking. All of these achievements placed Özyeğin University among the most distinguished higher education institutions in Turkey.
We implement a new 5-year strategic plan in our 10th year
The successes our University has garnered in its first 10 years are the most important assurance that allows us to look into the future with confidence. We embrace Özyeğin University as a social legacy entrusted to us to continuously carry it forward and pass it on to future generations. To this end, we laid the foundations of our new strategic plan for 2018-2023 based on an accountable, institutional management approach. We are about the complete our new 5 year strategic plan, and we plan to implement it in our 10th year in commitment to our founding principle of "Contributing to social development by producing original and applicable knowledge through an innovative structure integrated with real-world industries; and academic programs focused on sectors”, which was shaped during the call conference held to discuss the mission of our University. In line with this plan, I am confident that we will take our national successes to the international realm, and spear ahead with our committment to be an entrepreneurial research university preferred by all our stakeholders.
Today, Özyeğin University is an important asset created with the selfless efforts of our faculty and students, who are renowned for their national and international achievements, and all of our administrative staff in collaboration with its senior management. Özyeğin University makes a difference with its innovative studies and serves as a role model to both established state universities and young foundation universities. Therefore, I would like to especially highlight that neither the first ten years of our University nor its next five years, which we defined with concrete goals, can boil down to a mere vision statement and the results achieved based on it. This is a journey that can be defined with years and numbers, but most of all, it is the culmination of a shared dream in which we invest both our minds and hearts, and a strong collaboration built on mutual trust. Without the unity of hearts and minds, not only would achieving what we have achieved so far not be possible, but it would also be impossible to maintain and sustain them.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the members of our Board of Trustees for shaping our first steps on this path ten years ago and still mentoring us at our each step, our founding rector for bringing us all together under the roof of OzU with his excitement and dreams, all our internal and external stakeholders for taking pride in our achievements and accompanying us on different chapters of our journey, all OzU members for believing in our goals and continuing to walk with us, all our OzU students for always carrying the OzU identity and representing our University on different platforms as they make their dreams come true, and our graduates for being our source of pride with their increasing number of national and international achievements.
We owe another big thanks we should not forget to extend -not only on behalf of us but also on behalf of our country and future generations. As a true devotee of education, he has shaped our University’s seeds of thoughts with his experiences. Starting from the very first day on our 10-year journey, he sometimes led the way, and walked before us to inspire us. Sometimes, he purposefully tried to stay behind to give us courage, but no matter what the circumstances were, he always made sure we felt that he was always there for us, not only with his financial support but also with his moral support. On behalf of myself, all past and present members of OzU, and our country, I would like to express my heartfelt gratitude to Mr. Hüsnü Özyeğin, the founder of our University and the Chair of our Board of Trustees.
As we celebrate our University’s 10th anniversary this year, we feel the immense satisfaction of looking into the future with the hope and confidence we derive from all the experiences, successes, excitements, and dreams we have had over our 10-year journey. I wish many more achievements and many more decades to come.
- Özyeğin University was officially founded.
- Prof. Dr. Erhan Erkut was appointed as the Founding Rector.
- The Faculty of Engineering was founded.
- The Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences was founded.
- The Faculty of Arts and Sciences was founded.
- The School of Applied Sciences was founded.
- The Graduate School of Engineering was founded.
- The Graduate School of Social Sciences was founded.
- Celebrating its 10th anniversary, Özyeğin University prepares its students for the future with 6 faculties, 2 vocational schools, and 3 graduate schools, offering a total of 23 undergraduate and 31 graduate programs.
- The construction of Altunizade Campus was completed.
- Özyeğin Üniversitesi Eylül 2011’de 280 bin metrekare alana yayılı Çekmeköy Kampüsü’ne taşındı. Özyeğin Üniversitesi, Türkiye’nin ilk LEED Sertifikası adayı çevreci kampüsü olarak Akademik Bina-1 ve Öğrenci Merkezi binaları ile LEED Gold Sertifikası aldı. (Şubat 2013)
- The first press launch event was organized.
- The Center for Entrepreneurship was founded.
- The Center for Energy, Environment and Economy (CEEE) was founded.
- Turkey’s first Center for Computational Finance was founded. (December 2009)
- The German Law Application and Research Center was founded. (January 2012)
- The Research, Development, Training and Application Laboratory for Energy Efficient LED Lighting Technologies (EVATEG) was founded. (June 2016).
- Turkey’s first research and development center in the field of optical wireless communications, the Center of Excellence for Optical Wireless Communications Technologies (OKATEM), was founded.
- The OzU Couple and Family Therapy Center (OzU CFC) was launched. (May 2018)
- The Alp Alkaş Retail & Real Estate Center was launched. (January 2014)
- "10,000 Women", a global initiative launched in 2008 by Goldman Sachs, the international investment bank, took place for the first time in Turkey with the cooperation of Özyeğin University.
- Özyeğin University’s first TUBITAK Project “Investigation of Near-Field Radiative Transfer for Development of Thermo/Photovoltaic Power Generators” was accepted.
- The Fit Startup Factory was launched.
- Over 200 new employments were created through the startups funded by the Fit Startup Factory’s acceleration programs.
- Üniversitemizin ilk Mezuniyet Töreni yapıldı.
- 2018 yılında verdiğimiz toplam mezun sayımız: 3.338
- Teknoloji Transfer Ofisi (TTO) kuruldu.
- Sanayi İş Birliği Projesi (SANTEZ’ler ile birlikte): 220, Ödül: 24, TÜBİTAK Projesi: 133, Uluslararası Proje (AB ve Diğer): 53, Kalkınma Ajansı Projesi: 12, Tescilli Akademisyen Patenti: 107, Üniversite adına patent başvurusu: 112, Patent ve faydalı model tescili: 9, Ticarileşme Başarısı: 4, ÖzÜ Kümülatif Araştırma Hacmi: 66,4 Milyon TL'ye ulaştı.
- 2018 itibari ile 7 Altın, 13 Gümüş ve 13 Bronz Madalya ile toplamda 33 madalya alarak Vakıf Üniversiteleri arasında en iyi 3. Üniversite olduk.
- Üniversitemizin ilk ÖzÜ CUP Liselerarası Spor Turnuvası başladı. (Şubat 2013)
- Lise Yaz Okulumuz açıldı.
- Bugüne kadar 1500'ün üzerinde öğrencinin deneyimlediği Lise Yaz Okulu programımız 10 farklı akademik ders paketiyle farklı alanlarda oluşturulmuş olup, kişisel gelişim, yabancı dil ve profesyonel gelişim dersleri ile 2 hafta boyunca gerçek bir üniversite hayatını lise öğrencilerine sunmaktadır.
- Türkiye'nin ilk Kurumiçi Girişimcilik Konferansı yapıldı.
- Prof. Dr. Esra Gençtürk Rektör olarak atandı.
- TÜMA 2018 "Türkiye'nin Üstün Performans Gösteren Rektörleri" sıralamasında Rektörümüz Prof. Dr. Esra Gençtürk "Altın Ödül"ün sahibi oldu.
- Özyeğin Üniversitesi, ISO 14001 Çevre Yönetim Sistemi ve OHSAS 18001 İş Sağlığı Güvenliği Yönetim Sistemi sertifikalarını aynı anda alarak Türkiye’de her iki belgeye sahip ilk üniversite oldu.
- İstanbul Grand Airport (İGA) ve Sivil Havacılık Yüksekokulu Türkiye’nin ilk "İstanbul Hub Semineri"ni kampüsümüzde düzenledi.
- Eğitimde Fırsat Eşitliği Burs Programı başladı.
- 2018-2019 akademik yılı itibarı ile Eğitimde Fırsat Eşitliği Burs Programı kapsamında değerli bağışçılarımızın katkılarıyla üniversitemizde öğrenim gören bursiyerlerin sayısı 86’ya ulaştı.
- Uluslararası Sürdürülebilir Kampüs Ağı (ISCN):Dünya Ekonomik Forumu’nun akademik platformu olan Küresel Lider Üniversite Forumu (GULF) ile ISCN’nin 2016 ortak raporunda üniversitemiz, Türkiye’den tek üniversite olarak yer aldı.
- 2016 yılında ‘Sürdürülebilir Üniversite’ konusunda örnek teşkil eden uygulamasıyla, Uluslararası Sürdürülebilir Kampüs Ağı (ISCN) ile Dünya Ekonomik Forumu (DEF)’in akademik platformu olan Küresel Üniversite Liderleri Forumu’nun en iyi vaka örnekleri arasına giren Özyeğin Üniversitesi, 2017 yılı için hazırlanan ve ‘Sürdürülebilirlik için Eğitim’ üst başlığındaki raporda, ‘İş Dünyasında Sürdürülebilirlik Eğitimi için Üç Katmanlı Yenilikçi Bir Yaklaşım’ adı verilen uygulaması ile Türkiye’deki tek üniversite olarak yerini aldı. 2018 yılında ise aynı raporda “Hukuk Klinikleri” uygulaması ile 3. kez En İyi Vaka örnekleri arasına girme başarısına imza attı.
- ÖzÜ-X binamız faaliyete geçti.
- Özyeğin Üniversitesi’nin girişimcilik kültürünü yaygınlaştırma felsefesiyle hayata geçirdiği ÖzÜ-X, bünyesindeki birimler ve seminer alanlarıyla ekosisteminde yer alan tüm paydaşlara açık bir merkez konumunda.
- Teknoloji Transfer Ofisi
- Girişimcilik Merkezi
- Girişim Fabrikası
- OpenFab İstanbul
- TÜSİAD Sürdürülebilir Kalkınma Forumu
- GE İnovasyon Merkezi
- Özyeğin Üniversitesi ve TÜSİAD iş birliğiyle "Sürdürülebilir Kalkınma Forumu (SKF)" kuruldu.
- Türkiye Üniversite Memnuniyet Araştırması (TÜMA) 2017 raporunun sonuçlarına göre Özyeğin Üniversitesi, "Genel Memnuniyet" sıralamasında tüm üniversiteler arasında ‘Birinci’ sırada yer aldı.
- Türkiye Üniversite Memnuniyet Araştırması (TÜMA) Genel Memnuniyet Sıralamasında ÖzÜ ikinci kez birincilik elde etti. Rektörümüz Prof. Dr. Esra Gençtürk ise "Türkiye'nin Üstün Performans Gösteren Rektörleri" sıralamasında "Altın Ödül"ün sahibi oldu.
- Kariyer ve Yetenek Yönetimi Derneği’nin Türkiye genelinde gerçekleştirdiği CALIBRE Yükseköğretim İstihdam Endeksi 2018 araştırmasının sonuçlarına göre “Mezunları En Hızlı İş Bulan Üniversiteler” sıralamasında ÖzÜ birinci sırada yer aldı.CALIBRE Yükseköğretim İstihdam Endeksi 2018 için daha detaylı bilgi almak için tıklayınız.
- ÖzÜ, Türkiye’nin en iyi kampüse sahip ilk 10 üniversitesi sıralamasında birinci seçildi.
In the light of the strength we derive from our founding philosophy and the values we have, as Özyeğin University, we celebrate our 10th anniversary with a series of special events that touch on different fields of interest, from culture to art and economics to the business world, at the service of society.
IP Conference 2018
October 4-5, 2018
October 17-18, 2018
October 25, 2018
October 31, 2018
Respect For the Views Of the Child...
November 6, 2018
Energy Politics: "Gazprom
and Turkey-Russia Relations"
November 13, 2018
November 14, 2018
Industry 4.0 in White Goods Sector
November 23, 2018
Salvation and Catastrophe: The Greek-Turkish War 1919-1923
November 24, 2018
Women Rectors in Turkey-3rd Meeting & Panel Discussion
December 12, 2018
December 12-14, 2018
December 15, 2018
December 19, 2018
IAPS-CS Network-Culture and Space Meetings-4
September 2018-February 2019
2nd Hospitality Pioneers in Turkey Biennale 2018
February 12, 2019
Equality in Politics
Molecular Gastronomy: The Chemistry of Cooking
May 9, 2019
June 19, 2019